Aberdeen People wide
 
 
We are glad that you are visiting our website.  The congregation has been in Aberdeen since the early 1950s. The congregation began on the grounds of the Aberdeen Proving Ground and then relocated to the city of Aberdeen.  We have met in the present location since 1972. The congregation is served by six elders and three deacons. The present minister, Will Brown, has been working with the congregation since the summer of 2018.
Our goal is to follow the teachings of Jesus and be the body of Christ as found in the New Testament.  We believe the Bible to be the inspired “God breathed” Word of God and that the Bible is the complete Word of God. 

We invite you to visit, investigate, and study the Scriptures with us.

 

Yours In Christ,

William Allbritten, Thomas Fender, Rowe Haywood, Doren Graziosi, Charles Hamilton, and Dave Woodyard

History


The Church of Christ at Aberdeen first met on August 10, 1952, in a recreation building, number T-3219, at Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG). Credited with starting the congregation is Lt. Jerry Strader, a soldier stationed at APG, and Mrs.Charles H. Phaup, Jr., the wife of a company Commander at APG.


The second Sunday, Paul Coomes, who had been driving to Baltimore’s University Parkway Church, started attending at Aberdeen (Paul and Jerry still attended Wednesday Bible Study at University parkway until the Aberdeen congregation grew and started its own mid-week Bible study.) Shortly thereafter, Earl Bonner and then Carrie Johnson started attending and by 1953 the average morning worship service attendance was 40.

On March 1955, the building at 10 Roosevelt Street in Aberdeen was purchased and worship services were moved from the APG East Chapel. By 1956, the Aberdeen congregation had forty families attending. New names which many of us remember include: Bruce Archer, Leroy Garner (a soldier at APG who would become our third preacher), Samuel Hackney of Rising Sun (Colora congregation), Baxter and Vera Poling, and Paul and Una Stringer.

1956 saw an increase in activity in the congregation, as a weekly 15 minute radio program on WASA was started in April, followed by Bible correspondence course in May, and two gospel meeting were held in July and October.


On November 16, 1967 the lot at 90 Mount Royal Avenue was purchased and average attendance on Sunday mornings was 120 – 130 because there was no more room in the current building. The first worship service in the 90 Mount Royal building was on May 9, 1971.

On March 28, 1976 William H. Allbritten, Gary Plummer and Bill L. Roach were appointed elders and on March 13, 1977, Rowe Haywood and Paul Coomes were installed as our deacons. Over the fifty-plus year history of the Aberdeen congregation, 6 men have served as elders and 11 men have served as deacons.

Elders

  • William H. Allbritten
  • Gary Plummer
  • Bill Roach
  • Rowe Haywood
  • Tom Fender
  • Doren Graziosi                                                                                                                                                                                  
  • Charles Hamilton                                                                                                                                                                                             
  • Dave Woodyard 

Deacons

  • Rowe Haywood
  • Paul Coomes
  • Roger Cash
  • Larry Hoeck
  • reg C. Roach
  • Rufus Shepherd
  • David Stitcher
  • James Powers
  • Doren Graziosi
  • Charles Hamilton
  • Kersey Jones, Jr
  • Thomas Gray

From August 10, 1952 until December 12, 1954 various men of the congregation and occasional guest speakers performed the preaching duties. On December 12, 1954 B.H. Atkinson became the first of twelve ministers who have served Aberdeen.

Ministers

    • B.H. Atkinson - December 1954 – December 1955
    • Ennis N. Franklin - February 1956 – December 1957
    • Leroy Garner - June 1958 – September 1959
    • Huey P. Thompson - October 1960 – March 1962
    • Charles Cigrang - May 1962 – June 1965
    • Caleb J. Kirkpatrick - September 1965 – August 1968
    • Robert E. (Bobby) Williams - August 1968 – August 1977
    • William D. (Bill) Dilks - October 1977 – August 1981
    • David Bennett - November 1977 – June 1978
    • Michael W. Summers - March 1982 – June 1989
    • Thomas (Tom) Fender - November 1989 – May 2018
    • William E. (Will) Brown - June 2018 – Present

 

The Aberdeen congregation has been continually involved in mission work to further the cause of Christ. The congregation currently sponsors Timothy Hill Children’s Home, AMEN program, African Christian School, Vienna Georgia, Manassas Virginia (India Fund), Panama Mission and World Bible School.

The Aberdeen congregation has grown slowly during the past 50 years, with many “ups” and “downs”. In earlier years the military’s status directly affected our attendance; now with more families permanently located in the area, the effect is less.We always enjoy having new families arrive, whether military or civilian. It helps promote the Lord’s work in this area and provides new ideas on which to build.

Aberdeen Church of Christ

New Logo Red
90 Mount Royal Avenue

Aberdeen, MD 21001

Phone: 410-272-5450

Recent Sermons

Assemblies

 
Sunday Morning 11:00 AM

Sunday Evening 6:00 PM

Bible Studies

Sunday (all ages) 10:00 AM

Wednesday (all ages) 7:00 PM

Go to top